Saturday, December 1, 2012

Walking the Walk Not Just Talking the Talk 121202

Romans 12:14-21, Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
Paul begins this section back in verses one and two with a commitment to present our bodies a living sacrifice linked to a refusal to be conformed to this world, instead, we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. The renewed mind lives a different kind of life than the mind of the flesh we are born with. We are to bless; rejoice; weep with the sad; live in harmony; be humble; avoid arrogance; live honorably; be peaceful; never seek revenge; treat our enemies well and overcome evil with good! That's a pretty heavy dose of responsibility and a very large guilt trip for many of us. Thank God, we don't have to do it in our own strength.
Every believer needs to understand that Christianity is not just a club to join. Nor is it simply that we have a lot of new rules to learn. Both those positions leads to some kind of legalism. When a person is saved by the power of God changes start happening. When we are born into this world we are born sons and daughters of Adam and Eve and as such we inherit sin and rebellion. We also have a lot of growing up to do. Some of us actually do grow up! Being saved and becoming a Christian leads a person to new birth, in a new family, with new strengths and new relationships.
In fact…
We have a new mind. Because…
A Christian has put on a new self. Listen to what Paul wrote to the Colossian church in Colossians 3:9-10, Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
I think it's very interesting that Paul begins this with, "Do not lie to one another". One of the attributes of God is that he does not lie. And when the Spirit of God comes to live in us lying should become a thing of the past. I was blessed by being able to come to the Lord as young boy. I got into enough trouble after that, even as a believer, no telling how much trouble I would have gotten into had I not known the Lord. However, one of my big problems as child was the problem of lying. It was almost a game with me and I had to really work at becoming a truth teller.
John tells us in the first chapter of his gospel that as many as receive Christ, those who believe in his name, are given the power to become children of God. If we are children of God we take on the family characteristics of God. We have put off the old man who is in the image of Adam, our natural forefather, and we have put on the new man who is in the image of our heavenly Father. As a result we are now being renewed in knowledge after the image of God. The believer is not perfect but is being perfected. I used to have a little badge that, I sometimes wore, that said, "PBPWMGIFWMY". Those letters stand for, "Please be patient with me, God isn't finished with me yet", leaving me to make the explanation. Since our ultimate goal is to be like Jesus — God certainly isn't finished with me yet! If I'm to be like Jesus, I will outlive Methuselah! Remember, upon salvation we take on a new nature the new nature has a new set of values.
With a new set of values. Listen while I read from Ephesians 4:20-24, But that is not the way you learned Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
Every family has values! They may be good or they may be bad, but they are values. During my childhood I often heard my mother and father say, "That's not what we do in this family!" And I knew that our family values would be enforced strictly. Today, the shapers of influence, representing a small minority of the population, are continually presenting a "new normal" that has a definite set of values. Those values are like the ones mentioned by the Apostle in writing to the Ephesians when he said that their former manner of life was corrupt through deceitful desires. The so-called "new normal" accepts homosexuality as a natural lifestyle, promiscuous sex as being normal, and same-sex marriage as being correct. I could go on and on but don't choose to.
Well, those values are not the ones that I grew up with. Nor are they the family values presented in the Bible. This past week on Facebook one of my male friends posted a picture of his male "fiancé". I challenged him to think about God's view of such a relationship. His answer was, "Well there is no right or wrong if I'm a child of God because are we not made in his image?"
I copied for him several verses from Romans chapter 1. He responded by saying that's not the way he interpreted God's word. Obviously, he had bought into the "new normal". I am grieved to see the path our culture is on. As Christians we must stand in opposition to those things that do not glorify God. We're not to be hateful but we are to be forceful. As for me, I'm tired of pussyfooting around. At the same time, I know that we are to witness respectfully and gently. When the Bible is clear on the subject we need to take our stand on the word of God, while remembering that God's goodness brings men to repentance.
We have a new mind with a new set of values and…
With the ability to grow spiritually. Listen while I read these earlier verses in Ephesians 4:15-16, Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
Peter closed his second epistle with the admonition to grow in grace and the knowledge of the Lord. We are designed physically to mature over a period of time. God also designed us to spiritually mature over a period of time. We are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ! Our natural condition at birth is "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God". The glory of God is none other than Jesus Christ himself! And we are naturally far short of that goal. However, when Christ comes to live in our lives the Holy Spirit enables us to mature spiritually. We will be built up in love and we will reflect that love to those around us.
Spiritual growth involves all of our being. We need to read the Bible, fellowship with other believers, offer our prayers to God in the name of Jesus and listen for the voice of God in the midst of all the chaos around us.
We have a new mind, with a new set of values, with the ability to grow spiritually and we have…
A new way of living. Since we have been born again we are to be…
Living according to the Spirit. Listen while I read, Galatians 5:16-17, But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
We are to live in the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh! The problem many Christians deal with is trying to suppress or defeat the flesh. The old adamic nature will always be with us. You can't tame the flesh because it is always trying to revert to our adamic nature. Everybody has a method for the way they live their lives. Most of us have never thought out the method. That means, simply put, that our method is pretty much the way of the flesh.
Really, we should not focus on the habits of the past or the struggle that we have in the flesh. We should focus on living according to the Spirit. Don't even allow the desires of the flesh any time in your mind. It's your mind you should determine, by choice, what has space in it. There are only two choices: being Spirit-dependent or or, being flesh-dependent. Where are you at in this process? Is your method Spirit-dependent , or is it flesh-dependent? The Holy Spirit is to be the fountain of our life. And if we are led by the spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh!
We have a new mind, with a new set of values, and the ability to grow spiritually.
We have a new way of living and it is according to the Spirit! Now we are to be living…
No longer in the flesh. Listen while I read from Galatians 5:18-21, But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Upon presenting a similar list in First Corinthians 12, the apostle adds these words that could be shocking to some, "And such were some of you."! In other words, the Corinthian church had members who had, in the past, openly acted out "the works of the flesh". Every church, everywhere, has such members in their ranks. I would go further. I would not say, "And such were some of you." Instead I would say, "And such were ALL of you!" All of us once walked after the works of the flesh. And the flesh is still with us! Usually in the Bible the word "flesh" refers to our old nature. The flesh that we were born with is no longer our way, but it is certainly our "old way". Over the years I've gotten lots of help from Bill & Anabel Gillam, especially in the area of the flesh. I quote Brother Bill, "Indwelling Sin will continually seek to mislead you with first-person-singular-pronoun logic that his way is the true way". (Bill Gillham, Lifetime Guarantee) The voice you hear in your head almost always speaks in the first-person-singular to make you think it's your own idea. Or, Satan will use a voice that we are naturally afraid of. That's the old habits of the past, the flesh, trying to drag us back into a false way of living. Having been born again we are no longer to live according to the flesh. We have a new life and a new way of living.
There is an old chorus that we used to sing it goes like this:
I have a new way of living, I have a new life divine,
I have the fruit of the Spirit, I'm abiding, abiding in the vine.
Abiding in the vine, Abiding in the vine, love, joy, health, peace,
He has made them mine. I have prosperity, power and victory
Abiding, abiding, in the vine!
Our new way of living does involve prosperity, but it may not mean money. Jesus said the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. But he went on to say that he had come so we may have life and have it abundantly. Abundant life is so much more than material things. Abundant life is the life of Christ in us and that is our hope of glory.
We have a new mind, with a new set of values, and the ability to grow spiritually.
We have a new way of living and it is according to the Spirit; no longer according to the flesh! It is…
A blessed way. Let's hear the words of the shepherd boy who became a King, Psalm 1:1-3, Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
The person who does not live by the flesh but instead delights in the things of the Lord is going to be blessed. Several years ago I was going through some of the things my mother had left behind. One of them was a study outline that she had prepared to teach her Sunday School class and the text was Psalm one. She had listed a number of the characteristics of a godly man that are found in this passage and then she had written in the margin beside that list, "My darling husband". I was blessed to be raised by man and a woman who honored God with their lives.
Yes, we have a new mind, with a new set of values, and the ability to grow spiritually. We have a new way of living and it is according to the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh! It is a blessed way with…
A new strength. We often excuse ourselves, or even complain, by saying, "I am just not strong enough for this." We need to remember that…
Our weakness is not a problem. Read what Paul discovered about his weakness. He was struggling with some kind of problem that he called a "thorn in the flesh" and he had asked God three times to take it away. Listen to God's answer.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10, But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Paul, who had struggled with his weaknesses, could now say that he could boast in his weaknesses! Only in weakness do we really recognize our need for God. The Apostle Paul had good flesh credentials. He was circumcised the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews, etc. etc. God had to bring him down, not just a notch, but all the way down. You see, God is not interested in how able we are he is interested in our understanding, and demonstrating, how able he is!
Sometimes when a person is first saved they might think, "This is easy." But, as time goes by, we begin to discover the Christian life is not easy! In fact, it is hard! After more time, and struggle in our own strength, we finally throw up our hands and say, "This life is impossible!" We did not learn, or we soon forget, that only one person has ever lived the Christian life and that person is Jesus Christ!
Yes, we have a new mind, with a new set of values, and the ability to grow spiritually. We have a new way of living and it is according to the Spirit; no longer according to the flesh! That is a blessed way with a new strength. Our weakness is not a problem because…
He does the work. Listen while I read from 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
I want to be completely holy. I want my entire being to be acceptable to God. I try, and I try, but I fail again, and again. I find soon that I can do nothing of any lasting value on my own. And then I find this wonderful prayer from the apostle Paul to the church in Thessalonica. He prays for them what I would pray for myself. "May your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". WOW! How can that be? What can I do? What great work does he demand that I can be totally sanctified? And that's the way we would be left, if the apostle ended this passage at the end of verse 23. But he didn't. He went on to say that he who calls you is faithful; HE WILL SURELY DO IT! He will do it? I thought WE had to do it and I knew that I could not and I suspect that you can't either. So life seemed hopeless. This passage speaks to my needs as does Philippians 1:6, And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. He will bring it to completion! Not, "We will bring it to completion." Or, "You will bring it to completion." He who called you is faithful; he will do it. Praise God! I can't do it and I know that I can't; but he can do it, and I believe he can do it! You see…
His strength is ours. Remember the words of Paul in Philippians 4:13? I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Yes, we have a new mind, with a new set of values, and the ability to grow spiritually. We have a new way of living and it is according to the Spirit; no longer according to the flesh! It is a blessed way with a new strength that ignores our weakness because it is in His strength, not oursl
Paul prayed for the Ephesian church: Ephesians 3:14-19, For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
What an awesome prayer! That prayer fills all my needs. Remember, this is not strengthening me in my own strength. It is being strengthened with power through the Holy Spirit. Our faith will grow and we will be foundationed in love. Then, and only then, we will know the love of Christ and be filled with the fullness of God!
When a believer looks at the demands of the Christian life the view can be very discouraging! The values we grew up with are often in direct opposition to the values of Christ. With all the hustle and bustle of the world around us and the pessimism shown by most people it is easy to forget that we have the mind of Christ. We know we can't live the Christian life in our own strength. We struggle along and get weaker and weaker. But the day will come, I promise you, when we finally give up. And when we give up, the Spirit of God within us, in one way or another, will press home the truth that he who began a good work in us will bring it to completion. He who calls us is faithful even when we are faithless. HE WILL DO IT! Have you trusted him? Is he your Lord and Savior? If you feel the tug in your heart to come to him he will not turn you away.

All scripture quotes from:The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment