Saturday, September 19, 2015

150920 John’s Vision of Jesus!



Revelation 1:9-20 I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet 11 saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.” 12 Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, 15 his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. 19 Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this. 20 As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
In this part of the introduction we are told where John was; what he saw; and what Jesus said to him. John introduced himself as our brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus. The tribulation he spoke of must have surely referred to the oppression of the Roman governm­­ent. The kingdom also was surely referring to the rule of Christ in his people. And the references to patient endurance that are in Jesus is found mostly in the book of Revelation.
John was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day. What is meant by the Lord’s day? Beginning with Jesus’ resurrection on the first day of the week, his return to meet with his disciples the following Sunday and throughout the New Testament references to the Lord’s day always indicate that it was Sunday. The Sabbath, which is Saturday, is the memorial day of the old creation. It reflected the fact that God rested from all his work on the seventh day, or the Sabbath! During Jesus’ ministry he had clearly stated that he was Lord of the Sabbath. (Luke 6:5) In the writings of the early church fathers we find references to the believers gathering to worship on the first of the week. The Book of Acts tells us of their gathering together to break bread on the first day of the week. (Acts 20:7) Paul asked the Corinthian church to take up their offerings for the Jewish churches on the first of the week. (1 Corinthians 16:2)
So we find John, in exile, a prisoner of the Romans and yet he was worshiping on the Lord’s day. While he was worshiping he heard a loud voice behind him and turned around to see where this voice came from and thus began what was very likely John’s most exciting experience.
What did John see? First he saw…
Seven lampstands. Note that he did not see lights. He saw lampstands that were probably individual lampstands not a menorah. Turn with me to Matthew 5:14-16. See how Jesus identified those who believed in him. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Jesus identified himself as “the light of the world”! (John 8:12 & 9:5) In the beginning of John’s Gospel Jesus is identified as the light that gives light to everyone. (John 1:9) Therefore it is reasonable that light is used to symbolize churches. True churches of Jesus Christ are the light of the world because they are his people gathered to worship him and provide a place for unbelievers to come to know him. The lights on the lampstands that John saw represented the seven churches that Jesus singled out in the province of Asia.
Next, in the middle of the lampstands John saw…
The Son of Man. Turn with me to Matthew 16:13-16. Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
The Son of Man was Jesus’ choice title for himself. The term is used by Jesus himself dozens of times in the record of the Gospels. It certainly identified him with the Old Testament prophets. Both Daniel and Ezekiel used the term. Ezekiel himself is repeatedly identified as “son of man”; Daniel is called “son of man” and Daniel also identifies Jesus as the “Son of Man” in his vision! (Daniel 7:13)
So far as we know, John had not seen Jesus after his ascension into heaven until this time. The Son of Man that he saw here was very different from the Jesus he had seen ascending into heaven. This Son of Man was clothed in a long robe with a golden sash around his chest. His hair was white as wool like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire. His feet were like burnished bronze. His voice — oh his voice — was like a trumpet and the roar of many waters. He held seven stars in his right hand and out of his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.
How did John react? John’s reaction to this vision of Jesus was very similar to the reaction of many others throughout history. At least four times in the Gospels we are told of a similar reaction. For my first example turn with me to Mark 5:21-23. And when Jesus had crossed again in the boat to the other side, a great crowd gathered about him, and he was beside the sea. 22 Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Jairus by name, and seeing him, he fell at his feet 23 and implored him earnestly, saying, “My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well and live.”
In his desire to see his daughter healed Jairus fell at Jesus’ feet! Later, a woman whose daughter was sick also fell at his feet. (Mark 7:25) A Samaritan who had been healed of leprosy fell on his face at Jesus’ feet. (Luke 17:16) Mary greeted Jesus in a similar manner after Lazarus died. (John 11:32) There are other examples.
Upon seeing the awesome image of Jesus presented to John on the Isle of Patmos he quite naturally “fell at his feet”! However, Jesus laid his right hand on John and spoke to him.
What did John hear? First…
Don’t be afraid. The first thing that Jesus said was a repeat of something he had said to him during his last days on earth. Turn with me to Luke 12:32. Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Jesus was teaching his disciples not to be anxious about anything. He wanted them to know that the Father knows what we need and will provide it when we really need it. Not only would our needs be met but the Father was pleased to give us the kingdom as part of the legacy of the “little flock”!
I will never forget the first time this verse of Scripture was driven home to me. Cherlyn and I had gone to visit Catherine Baham in Charity Hospital in New Orleans. I asked Catherine if there was anything she wanted me to read for her before we prayed. She said, “Read to me where Jesus called me his sheep.” I was caught flat-footed so I had to guess which passage she meant. Soon I discovered what she wanted me to read for her, “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
John heard these encouraging words, “don’t be afraid” and then was lifted to his feet by none other than the Lord Jesus Christ! Then he heard Jesus say these powerful words…
I AM! These first two words in Jesus’ reply were used by him, I believe, consciously identifying himself as God! Turn with me to Exodus 3:13-15. Moses has just been instructed to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt. Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you.’ ” 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.
God identified himself as Yahweh, or “I Am who I Am ”. It is also possible to translate this statement “I will be what I will be”. Indicating that God is eternal in his existence. He has always been and always will be. Later, Jesus would identify himself with this description…
Turn with me to John 8:56-59. When confronted by the Pharisees, rather than try to calm them down Jesus made this very provocative statement. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
In this confrontation Jesus clearly identified himself as God. He didn’t say that he existed before Abraham as some would like it to say. Jesus identified himself as, “I am”. They fully understood what he was saying because they immediately determined to kill him. I am not sure what the phrase “Jesus hid himself” means. He was in a very public place and it seems unlikely that he could have stepped into another room. I prefer to think that he just simply cloaked himself with invisibility and walked away.
Jesus went on to say that he was the first and the last — again identifying himself as God. He said that he was the living one — again identifying himself as God. He said I died and I’m alive forevermore — again identifying himself as God. And then he said, “I have the keys of death and Hades.” This statement tells us that Jesus has the authority to grant entrance and exit from death and Hades.
In a sense, Satan doesn’t even have the key to his own residence. Jesus, and Jesus alone, has power over life and death!
Toward the end of his earthly ministry Jesus had said, “For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” John 10:17-18
Without a doubt Jesus claimed that he had power over life and death and when called upon to prove it he had no problem. Not just in the times that he brought someone back temporarily to life only to die again but in the permanent experience of his own resurrection. Jesus, at the right time, laid down his life! From the cross he said, “It is finished.” And he departed that station leaving the battered body behind only to bring it back to life in a far, far better condition than he left it on the cross! Jesus came, he said, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10)
Then John heard Jesus say…
That being true, write!
There are times when we need to act on the authority of Jesus Christ. John had such an opportunity on the Isle of Patmos! Since Jesus is the first and the last, the living one, who died and is alive forevermore, and has the keys of death and Hades John could write what he saw and what he would soon see.
This is a similar concept to what Jesus gave in the great commission. There Jesus said that, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20) Since Jesus has all authority we can make disciples as we are going through our day-to-day life!
John is now prepared to take what he has seen and share it with the seven churches in the province of Asia. These were not the only churches in Asia. At the time there must have been many more churches as we read the Book of Acts and the travels of the apostle Paul. These seven churches are either representative of the other churches or they have specific needs that the other churches did not have. We are going to learn from the seven churches things that should be done in our church and in our individual lives. The most important thing in your life is to have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. Is he your Lord? If not, today can be your day of salvation!

All scriptures quotes are from: The Holy Bible: English standard version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment